Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women. Every year more than 2 million women globally are diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Awareness about prevention, diagnosis and cure of the ailment has grown significantly over the past few years, however, the after effects of mastectomy are largely unaddressed.
In this month of Breast Cancer Awareness, tune in to listen to Dr. Jayanti Thumsi, a Lead Surgeon-Breast Oncology, speak to our CoFounder & CEO, Shilpi Sen on breast cancer. She throws some insightful thoughts on the necessity of personalised breast reconstruction solutions – breast implant or a prosthesis that will be boon to the breast cancer survivors who suffer from psychological issues after losing a breast during the treatment.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Dr. Jayanti Thumsi, MS (General Surgery)
Dr. Jayanti Thumsi who is currently working as a ‘Lead Surgeon-Breast Oncology’ at Apollo Hospital, Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore, India. Dr Jayanti Thumsi has graduated and completed her MS in General Surgery from Grant Medical College, JJ Hospital, Mumbai. She has undergone training in Breast Oncology at Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai. With 21 years as an oncologist, she has performed more than 3,500 breast surgeries and 2,500 other surgeries so far. She also has an expertise in Breast conservation and Breast Reconstruction surgeries. She has actively educated more than 4,58,000 women in almost 258 breast cancer awareness programs, even on TV and Radio shows, written newspaper articles, and social media. She has authored a book ‘Lump to Laughter’ which highlights the emotional journey of women going through breast cancer treatment with medically validated information. This book is already in its third edition.
- Woman Achiever of Karnataka 2019 by VRL group, Vijayvani and Digvijay TV.
- Kengal Hanumanthaiah State Award 2019 for her work in the field of Breast Oncology and her contribution to the society.
- Chankya National Award – Jury Special Award for Medical Inspiration by the Public Relation Council of India & World Communicators Council on 6th March 2020
- Founding Member and managing director of CREST Foundation, an NGO that was recognised by Limca Book record for ‘The World’s Largest campaign for Breast self-examination’ in which 2,332 women were taught Breast Self – Examination in a single day.
- Sponsors education for 3 deserving meritorious but under privileged students for completing MBBS through CREST Foundation.
- She is also involved in many research activities and clinical trials.